Subject: Rangefinder accuracy
From: "gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 15:05:53 +0200

Hi Luggers

I have a question which may seem a bit odd. How accurately should the M
rangefinder be when looking at infinity? I know that when checking the M
cameras you always focus to infinity and see whether the images come
together properly vertical and horizontal. Now, What interests me is this:
If I focus my M4P and M6 (both recently serviced by the Leica agents) on
something at a distance of say 500m, the rangefinder says it's spot on at
infinty but if I try and focus on the distant horizon (say 30km's away) it
doesn't quite make it to line up at infinity (same degree of difference on
both cameras and in both positions.) I tried this with several different
lenses (all the new kind) and with my old 35mm Summaron and low and behold
with the new lenses none of them quite get infinity but with the Summaron
mounted both cameras do. Is there any difference in the focusing accuracy
of the old vs new lenses. How much difference will the apparent infinity
inaccuracy make if I shoot with say my Noctilux, wide open?

Any comments gratefully received

Harold Gess

My e-mail addresses are as follows:

haroldgess@journalist.com

gess@icon.co.za

Please use either of these to reach me and, lest you lose sight of it, have
a nice day!