Subject: Re: Kobalux 21/2.8; I tried it
From: orath@astral.magic.ca (Otto Rath)
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 23:48:47 -0400

>Hello Friends -
>
>A buddy just picked up one of those new Japanese 21/2.8 lenses with shade
>and finder.  We went to the nearest park to try this lens on each of our
>cameras (M4-P, M2 and M6) and with color and B&W.  Thought I'd share a few
>of my impressions.
>
>The lens appears beautifully made and is well finished.  It feels absolutely
>top quality.  The focus is smooth and the diaphragm feels silky as well.
>The shade is also well made and fits fine.
>
>The finder is rather large but it is very bright and one can see nearly the
>entire frame with glasses on.  Quite workmanlike in fit and finish, it was
>fun to use.  There was no distortion to speak of.
>
>I shot T-Max 400 film.  Used all the apertures from 2.8 to 16 (a trick with
>400 film on a bright day).  I made full-frame enlargements on 8X10 paper
>today.  I must say that I can't complain about the image quality.  Found the
>edges (expectedly) a little soft wide open but, when stopped down a smidge,
>the image is very sharp.  Also found the contrast of the negatives to be
>fine (similar to my Leica lenses - ceteris paribus).
>
>None of this is scientific.  I am not a lens tester and I would suggest my
>'findings' are merely annecdotal.  Didn't test for coma or other residual
>abberations  so I can't comment, but for the type of work I do - landscapes
>and street shooting - I could find a corner in my camera bag for this lens.
>The lens is actually a screw-fitting lens with an adapter so I would guess
>the adapter could do double duty for some other screw lens (no?) or the lens
>itself could work on a screw Leica.  Seems OK to me.  Would love to hear
>other's practical experience with this piece.
>
>Regards,
>
>Curt

Hello Curt,

Did you find out, which optical japanese (?) or korean company manufactures
these lenses and finders?
I assume the screw-thread fitting you mentioned is Leica type,( not M42
- -Pentax)?
While Tri-X is a good film using Kodak Technical Pan or perhaps Agfapan 25
in a tripod-mounted Leica would give results, that would allow proper
evaluation at greater enlargement ratios.
Did you also see a similar 28/f2.8 lens for Leica?
Kind regards -otto-

otto w. rath, 504-633, northcliffe blvd. toronto on. M6E 3M3 canada (416)
783 5128