Subject: Re Bag alarm etc.
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 97 12:03:48 +0200

The bag alarm idea by Ted is excellent. Need to do some testing to
find a reliable unit though. Given all the spontaneously tripping
car alarms etc. around us daily I'd really like to make sure this
one works as intended. Many of the motion sensors in cars are overly
sensitive to low frequency noise hence false alarms indoors in
parking garages etc. I think these types of units are perhaps not
suitable. Neither are those with just a dead steelwire coming out.
Something that has a wired loop coming out could be ok. If they are
either ripped or cut (breaks the circuit) it sounds.

Also, these gadgets only really work with hard cases as soft ones
the thief can slice open. The metal ones tend to be heavy. Are the
lighter fibreglass/plastic hard cases anywere near as tough as
Halliburtons?

Ah, I'm starting to look like a paranoid... Just had a month of
guatemalan countryside. Amazingly all my stuff is still with me.
Partly because of sheer luck. There you face every morning the
choice of trusting a shady hotel manager to keep your back-up gear
or carrying it all day determied to fight for it if so be...

Cheers,

Kari Eloranta