Subject: Re: Message from Internet
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Jun 97 02:07:16 EDT

James wrote:

<<<I am becoming distracted with my impending discussion on whether to purchase
a M6 or R8.>>>>>

Well me old son you do have a problem and let old Doc Grant assist you through
this trying dilemma! :)

Buy both!  problem solved! On the other hand you may have to rob a  bank and if
married, "have a very understanding wife!" :) No photographer has one after they
find out you love your Leica more than them! :)

The question to ask yourself is, "What kind of photography do I enjoy doing most
and which camera and lenses will allow me to enjoy it most?"

Be honest with yourself as the M6 is limited in scope unless you are going to
shoot happy snaps, serious people, and most other situations not requiring
serious macro or major tele shooting.

IMHO the R8 allows for a much broader base of subjects and greater selection of
lenses for an enormous range of photography, that the M6 can't due to it's
design.

Obviously budget must be addressed at some point. If money is no object and even
though I'm very partial to M6, owning 3 of them, I believe I would put my funds
into an R8.

Being somewhat bias due to the fact I own one and waiting for two more, as I
find it just a delight to use & I know you wont be disappointed. But to make it
a joy to work with you might consider a few lenses: 15 or 21:: 35-70:: 70-180::
100 macro and maybe a 280 2.8 and the 1.4 and 2X extenders.  These should tied
you over until you get down to some very serious photography! :)

Don't know if I helped, but it's your call! Remeber the word "KISS" "keep it
simple stupid" and ask yourself one simple question, "what do I enjoy shooting
the most?" and which camera answers that question.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant