Subject: Re: Multiple bodies
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Jun 97 02:07:19 EDT

Harrison McClary wrote:

<<I used gaffer tape to fasten the lens securely to the camera and got some good
shots.  One ran on the front page and one sports front of our paper.  Talk about
creative--a gaffer tape R6!!!>>>>>>

Harrison my man,

the world is held together with gaffer tape! Key question, did anyone get a
picture of you with it taped up? These are the pictures you need when you're 90
and doing a book about the fun times of Harrison McClary. You have this great
photo of a jury-rigged gaffer taped Leica with a "Tamron" (gag) lens! I'm just
kidding, it's not a bad lens at all and better it, than none at all!

But that's what imagination is all about in keeping your gear going that I
believe many amateurs miss, rather than taping it all together and keep right on
shooting and who cares what it looks like, it works!

<<One thing to teach you what is essential and what is not is to cover a PGA
tournament.  Just try walking a golf course about 5 times in one day
carrying a lot of stuff you never get out of your bag and you will QUICKLY
lighten up your load.>>>>>>>

I try not to carry anymore than the assignment will demand and a more important
thing,"Never carry more equipment than you can run with!"

I see these young guys so loaded down with with huge equipment bags and they
never take anything out of them and only use the one camera - flash they have in
their hands. On occasion I have asked, "Why carry all your stuff when you are
only using the same camera all the time?"   "Just in case!" is the usual
response.  Like, just in case what?  The world is coming to an end?  Better you
have one well working camera and 100 rolls of film! :)

<<<I also believe you should carry extra bodies, esp. when someone is paying you
to be there.>>>>>>>

OUCH! :)  I did have an extra body, but my Leica lens wouldn't fit on the Canon
and I didn't have a roll of gaffer tape. :)

<<Boy Ted I think this is true of any major sporting event.  I have not
covered an Olympics yet, but I have been at several World Series,
Superbowls, PGA golf tourneys, and NCAA Basket and footbaall title games
and there is always someone who has equipment problems. >>>

Absolutely! And it is essential that you build friendships with other guys and
gals earning their keep just like you, simply because that's just a nice way to
be. But even more important that they may save your ass if something crashes on
you, just when you need your cameras most!

<<<That is one thing about photogs if you handle yourself in a
professional manner and are easy going (at least easy going for newsies)
then others will lend a hand when you need it>>>>>>

You bet!  What you give when least expected, comes back ten fold just when you
need it the most!

We may push and shove during the heat of picture battle, but when that moment is
over, it's back to women, cameras and where the good places are to eat, in that
order! :)

<<<And as you said you can see someone only once every few years but you always
go out for a beer or whatever as soon a you get a chance.>>>>

One thing that has come from CompuServe / Internet is that we now don't wait 3-4
years before we converse. Now we are back and forth right around the world and
it's a great thing about photography, we all use picture taking machines and
light sensitive material and it builds great friendships.

The LUG for an example in how it draws so many diverse folks using Leica cameras
together giving us new friendships and experiences we wouldn't otherwise enjoy.

see ya!

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant