Subject: Re: Camera choice
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmun.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 97 16:13:25 PDT

> I've been thinking about a Contax S2 or Nikon F3 or FM2N.  But back in the
> recesses of my mind, I have fond memories of an old M4 that I used to use

	[...]

> Although my heart wants an M6, my head wonders whether for  the kind of
> photography I do ... I wouldn't be just as happy with one of my SLR choices.

I can tell you a bit about the F3, as I've had an F3/T for about 10 years.  It
is well built and rugged.  I like manual cameras, so the F3 doesn't try to
think for me, though the aperture priority and the +/- exposure compensation
the camera offers is useful when I need those features.  The high-eyepoint
(HP) finder is great for seeing the whole viewfinder - though with glasses
I still have to move my head around a bit (that may just be me).  Finders and
screens are extremely easy to install - I installed an H2 screen which is a
microprism pattern across the entire field (not just a central spot); this
allows me to use any area of the screen for focusing (many people might find
this to be a weird screen, but I like it).  I only have one complaint and it's
a very minor one: the dial that sets the ASA is fiddly and doesn't click to
settings as solidly as I would like.  Also, there is one thing for the
first-time user to be aware of.  The first night I had the camera, I drove
myself into hysterics thinking that the chosen shutter speed (shown in the
viewfinder) was stuck at 1/80.  Only later did I discover that you'll get a
1/80 reading until the frame counter is advanced to 1.  The owner's guide
should've mentioned this on an earlier page.  Anyway, that is the only true
weirdness of the camera.  So, in 10 years I've had nothing but excellent
results with this camera and no problems whatsoever.

My advice would be to try out each of your selections and see which one
feels best for you (this, I think, is the most enjoyable aspect of shopping
for a new camera).  Already owning an M3, I was fully prepared last week
to go in and buy a new R7.  However, I felt I had to at least give the M6
a try and, to my complete surprise, found I liked the M6 better and bought
that instead.

- -Dave