Subject: Re: Camera choice
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 97 21:41:26 -0400

>I've been thinking about a Contax S2 or Nikon F3 or FM2N.  But back in the
>recesses of my mind, I have fond memories of an old M4 that I used to use
>back in the early 1970's when I was a newspaper reporter at a small daily
>paper.  The paper had a shelf full of Nikons and M4's, and unless I thought I
>was going to need the in-camera metering or a long lens, I usually drifted to
>one of the Leicas when I was doing my own photography.  My 35S was my poor
>man's Leica substitute when I bought it.

Bill,

If you liked the M4, you should at least try out an M6. I think that you
would be very pleased. I've found the internal meter to work very well.
I've been using Ms with the external meters or with an incident meter for
a long time, and I was amazed at how much quicker and easier to use the
internal meter is. It also sounds like the sort of photos you want to
take are a good match for the M6's strengths.

I also use a couple of Contax SLR camras, including the S2. The S2 is a
very nice, solid and compact camera, which I often use if I don't need
some bell or whistle on my RTS III--I usually prefer to use a simpler,
less automatic camera.  It's interesting to compare the finder displays
of the M6 and S2. On the S2 there is a list of shutter speeds on the
right side of the finder. A red diode lights the speed the meter
recommends. The speed the camera is actually set to flashes, and to set
the recommended speed you adjust shutter speed and aperature until the
flashing and non-flashing speeds coincide. The M6 has two arrows, and you
turn the aperature ring or shutter dial in the direction that the
brightest one points, until they are both lit evenly. It's very easy to
see small differences in brightness between them down to about 1/4 stop.

The S2 has a small, clearly indicated meter spot. There is also an S2b
model which has an averaging meter. (The S2b has a very attractive, dark
metallic finish, while the normal S2 has a titanium finish. I have found
that some camera store people don't realize that the meters are different
and think that the cameras are "black or chrome" versions of the same
body.)

The M6 meters a circle that is about 2/3 the height of the frame, so you
need to esitmate where it is by looking at the frameline in use.

I find the M6 (just because of the way the meter display works) slightly
faster and easier to use than the S2, although I sometimes need to take
the camera away from my eye to double-check the speed that is set. If I
think about it, I check beforehand and count stops up or down as I adjust.

For things like travel, I would lean towards the M6. It would be less
bulk to carry than any SLR system unless you only use an SLR with a zoom
lens. I normally use an M camera for travel for this reason. There are a
lot of tiny little bags made for point and shoot cameras which can hold
an M6 plus a couple of lenses, and which are both compact and
inconspicuous. I carried a little Tamrac bag for a long time; I could put
the camera with a 35mm lens sideways in one compartment, and two lenses
back-to-back in the other, and still had room for a few rolls of film and
a table-top tripod. One neat gadget for small bags is a special
back-to-back rear lens cap that Leica makes. This lets you pack lenses in
weird configurations without worrying about them banging around or
shifting.

You can also take the M6 without a bag and carry one or two lenses in
your pockets; this is very nice if you are on vacation and walking all
day. I challenge you to find may SLR lenses small enough for this.

Also, I think that a black M6 looks like a point-and-shoot camera to most
people, since rangefinder cameras are no longer common, while almost any
SLR would be a more tempting target for a thief. Unless, of course, the
thief knew what it was.

For family pictures and such, the M6 will call less attention to itself
than an SLR because of it's small size and quietness. You didn't mention
flash at all, but since you are looking at manual cameras, the M6 and the
S2 are equally lacking in automated flash features. Either camera would
work well with a flash unit with its own sensor or manual flash for
indoor family snapshots. I don't know what the Nikons offer in this area;
I'd assume that the F3 has some TTL flash features, but since you didn't
mention them, I assume that they are not a priority for you.

- - Paul