Subject: Re: Hi Les Lampman!
From: Colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 13:29:07 -0600

All I want to do is
> get some really sharp flower pix while I'm here in TX (two or three
> months) -- all my Nikon stuff is home N of Seattle in a lock box -- and
> daughter wouldn't know what to send...
>
> He suggested that if I'm unwilling to bring a Nikon down I should go
> ahead and try the Leicaflex... Even though the lenses are old they might
> be acceptable. Or get a new rig.
>
> I have NOT had the lenses checked for fungus, clarity, etc -- although
> to my unprofessional eye they look OK..
>
> I'm a 77 year old amateur -- but very critical when it comes to closeup
> work!!
>
> I don't even know how to turn the meter on in the Leicaflex!!
>
> My Nikon fleet: S, S2, S3, F, FTN (new), F2AS (New), FE2, 8008S, plus
> Mamiya 6 (new) and several older cameras... (and of course a bag of
> lenses for all the above.) ... a long time collecting (BG)
>
> Guess from you I'd like to know if this old Leica system has any value
> -- possible trade up to later model... and if these old lenses check out
> would it be worthwhile to get say a M7 body and use the old lenses...
>
> Leicaflex #1173256
>
> Summicron - R 2.0/50 Leitz Wetzlar  #23811425
>
> Elmarit 2.8/90 Leitz Wetzlar #2335355
>
> Extension tube set
>
> Misc filters
>
> Camera case (Leica)
>
> Utility case (Leica)
>
> Condition?  I don't know how to grade Leica -- if Nikon I'd say camera
> about E+ to E++ with dent on prism   -- it would not be a "collector"
> camera if Nikon...
>
> Both lenses E++
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Les Lampman
> Normangee, TX

Les,

The outfit you have there should be capable of excellent results.  If
there was serious fungus or haze you'd be able to see it in the lenses.

Using the camera: The metering is not through the lens, so point the
camera at a midtone that's lit the same as your subject and allow a
little more light if you're using a lot of extension.  The meter
switches on the same as a Nikon; pull the advance lever back.  The
button on the front of the head is the battery check.  The meter needle
comes down to a dot at the bottom of the screen if good.  The camera
takes PX625 batteries.  If you have to replace it, get the Weincell
zinc-air replacement.  If you can't get one of those, use the alkaline
625 and realize it's going to read a little bit high at first.
The levers on the front of the camera are for mirror lock-up and self
timer.

To make a long story short, it's a lot like your Nikon SLR.

Among the filters you mention if you have any of the Elpro close-up
achromats, try those.  The VI's fit the 50 and the VII's fit the 90.
Those improve close up performance very well.

Aside from a little less convenient metering, you won't find a better
all-around outfit that gives excellent close-up performance.  You can
spend a lot more on a new outfit that may test a little better on the
bench, but (IMHO) it doesn't get much better than what you have there.
If you do want to upgrade a bit, get a Leicaflex SL with TTL metering.
The SL doesn't have mirror lock up, but the camera is heavy and smooth
enough as to make mirror shake insignificant.  Your lenses (2 cam)
should work fine on the SL, but would have to be upgraded to 3 cam to
meter on the R cameras.  (Kind of like Non-AI and AI)

Have fun,

Colin