Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #495
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 10:09:14 -0800

Otto Braasch wrote:
> leave the R-series when the RTS III came out.
> I experienced similar failure rates with the R3, R4 and R5 in the
> 80ties as I do now with the RTS III and until today I have not seen
> any figures on other professional cameras, which would tell me, that
> they are (much) more reliable. Unless more users come up with hard
> figures on failure rates of their cameras, which could be compared,
> it would be wrong to downgrade the RTS III.

LUGnuts:

Interestingly, dependability issues come up mostly with expensive
cameras.  I remember reading about Chris Jons who works with NGS a lot
saying he typically takes on a job to remote areas 6 Nikon f4s and 6
N90s.

And at the cost of N90 versus R8, you can take three.  I know when I go
on a location shoot where I am away from rental houses, taking only
three Nikon bodies leaves me feeling anxious.  Too much is at stake.  I
have an 80-200 zoom, but always take my 105, 135 and 180 manual lens
just in case.

I remember being in a seminar with Tom Grill on stock photography (he is
partner in Comstock and a high level image producer) where is said that
the Leica M was the only camera he felt he could be comfortable taking
only one body on an extensive travel session into contries where he
needed to look like an amateur.

I suspect the Leica R6/6.2 has the same dependability.

Since lenses are the most important part of the system, I'd accept less
costly bodies at the expense of longevity so I could better afford
multiples that I must have in any case.

As an aside, I just don't understand why anyone would choose to put a
Russian coke bottle on a Leica body.  But if the Russians had made a M
style body that was reasonably dependable, focused accurately and kept
the film flat--I might like to order several, especially if they had
small, quiet motors and accepted Leica lenses.

Donal Philby
San Diego