Subject: Re: 180mm:2.8 Elmarit-R; Other R lens advice.
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 19:52:48 -0500

>      Of course the 50mm Sumicron-R and 90mm Elmarit-R would do likewise
>and in user condition wouldn't cost much more... but does either of these
>focus very close?

John,

I used to own a Serries VIII 180 2.8 and found it to be a great lens.  Yes
it is heavy, but heavy is a relative term-compared to a 300 2.8 it is
light, and I shoot one of those hand held, so I did not find the weight of
the 180 prohibitive.  The lens turned out superb results. IMHO

I also used to own the 90 2.0 Summicron R and this was my favorite R lens.
Very sharp, compact, fast, and an all around joy to use.  I do not remember
about the close focusing of the lenses however, as I do not do a lot of
that myself.

Happy hunting,

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com