Subject: Re: dependability
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:33:49 -0500

Talk about working on borrowed time as far as a catastrophic equipment
failure goes my associate here at Journal Communications has got be ridding
on BORROWED time.  This guy is probably the most tallented photographer I
have ever had the honor of knowing and working with, and he gets results
using equipment that most pros would cringe at.

Until 2 years ago he owned 1 camera body (Nikon FA--thats right the old
FA), 3 lenses a 24 2.8, 50 and a 135 2.8.  We produce short run magazines
all over Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and 1 magazine in Colorado,
so we do a lot of travel.  While most of this is realativly close, we drive
just about everywhere, you still are far from a good camera store. (As far
as I am concerened Nashville does not have a good camera store, but at
least you can rent the basics here).  He has alwasy been lucky and not had
his gear go down in the middle of a trip and had to cut it short because of
a camera failure.  This has always amazed me.  Maybe I am just hard on
equipment, but I have had to resort to back up bodies on several occasions
while his old FA keeps chugging along.  He has recently upgraded to a
second body (Nikon 8008) and added a 300 4.0 to his arsenal.

Anyway as I said this guy gets unbelievable results and it is all on this
basic Nikon gear.  Just goes to show you that tallent is what creats the
image, not the camera.

>We live in a disposable economy.  I have this box in my living room
>containing the autopsied corpses of an N90s and an SB-26 that died from
>condensation (pneumonia?).  But there is no visible damage.   Two repair
>shops, including Nikon, has said to just throw them away.  But it hurts.

Yes I know the feeling Donal, I have an old canon 600 4.5 that had been
converted to Nikon mount that is only good for a paper weight because the
mount is totally screwed up.  I can not find anyone to fix it, including a
friend who used to be the NPS repair tech in Atlanta.  He said it was
beyond repiar because the parts needed to fix it are nowhere to be found.
What a waste.

>But with the F5 being the same price as an R6, it is no longer
>"disposable," at least not on editorial rates today.

Heck on editorial rates today a Kodak instimatic is hardly disposable!!

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto