Subject: Re: Black or Chrome?
From: HP <hp635@skola.mark.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:47:41 -0700

I think the black chrome wears very well with time. It gets a bit mated
over the years, and the early Wetzlar M6:s, without anti scrap
protection usually show wear above the strap lugs. You will see the zink
shining through. But the black chrome wears MUCH better than the
M2-M3-M4 black paint.
The first batches of M2-M3 black paint were of poor paint quality. I had
a 1958 black M2 that was almost totally brass. Later batches were much
better in paint quality, but most users bodies show brass shining
through on all edges.=20
But don=B4t worry, you will never wear off the black chrome, unless you
really scratch it with a hard object.
Both chrome and black M2-M3-M4 are usually more or less scratched on the
top plate, because of the MR-meters. Here is a tip if you want to avoid
this: I always put the by now famous black electrical tape at the bottom
of the MR4-meter, and voila -No scratches! It is a pity for many
M2-M3-M4 bodies that so few did this earlier...
/Hans