Subject: Re: Black or Chrome?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 11 Jun 97 16:36:42 EDT

Donal wrote:

<<<I really think it has more to do with attitude than camera.  Of course, a
small camera and right attitude together help.>>>>>>

Hi Donal,

From my years of experience the "attitude" is the most important, regardless of
the camera, but as you say "a small camera and right attitude together help". If
you can develop that attitude and handle the camera well, life becomes a pretty
good piece of cake for shooting folks. (Sorry taking their pictures. :)

<<<to pull in my energy, to suspend my judgements. When I did that I went places
and shot things and felt invisible, whether street shooting or inside a
situation.>>>>>>>

Finding the physical and mental attitude to become "invisible" while shooting
any form of people pictures allows you to be there and yet not have anyone aware
you're there. I don't think you can truly explain what to do for someone to
learn how, as it is just a thing you develop through your own projection of
feelings when in a "crowd" or a busy political scene or hospital operating
theater.

The key to knowing you have mastered the ability to become "invisible" is to
spend a day in the office of a Prime Minister or CEO and not have them even
acknowledge your presence.

Another one I can relate to is in the operating room and a few days later
showing the OR team the photographs you had taken and hearing their collective
response that "they didn't even know you were taking that many pictures!"  As
one said, "you were so silent and unobtrusive we forgat about you and thought
jokingly that maybe we should use the "cardio-paddles on you to make sure you
were alive!."  Now thats invisible. :)

<<<I read an interview with Eddie Adams in which he was asked how he could
photograph a "monster" like Saddam Hussein.  He said he liked Hussein----while
he photographed him-------otherwise it would be impossible. It was simply a
professional need to adapt your attitude to the job at hand, to suspend your
judgement and be a journalist.  I'm sure Fred Ward has similar experiences and
ability.>>>>>

Eddie's comment is exactly what you have to do and that is project a trust and
positive feeling toward the subject. Like them or not!

Trust is not placed in the photographer, but in the human being. If he does not
regard the people in his pictures as mere subjects or themes, if he does not
intrude and is not tactless or aggressive, if the lives of others honestly
interest him, they will feel this and accept him.  After a time the presence of
the camera will be as natural to them as breathing.

The key to that ability is found within oneself as how you relate to other human
beings.

Fred Ward knows how to do that without question, as an example of his "people
projects" was the shooting of his book on President Gerald Ford, " Portrait of a
President."

Certainly Fred would have had to project his feelings to create a feeling of
trust from the President. Otherwise the President would have always looked
stillted and on guard at what Fred was shooting.

It is something that can be learned, but before you can truly make it work you
have to have genuine feelings for your fellow human beings!

And at times it's pretty difficult.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant