Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #504
From: "Stefan Kahlert" <uzs13b@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:21:08 +0000

> From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:47:02 -0400 Subject:
> Re: LTM definition
>
> At 08:58 PM 6/10/97 +0000, Jon Mitchell shrieked:
> >WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE TERM "SCREW MOUNT" WHAT
> KIND OF SICK, >PERVERTED, SAVAGE, TWISTED AND
> DOWNRIGHT DERANGED POLITICALLY CORRECT >LOONY
> CAME UP WITH "THREAD MOUNT"????? I LIKE TO
> "SCREW" LENSES INTO >MY LEICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that's the way it's meant to be! :-)

> Actually, 'thread-mount' is the original
> English-language translation of the German
> 'schraube', as in 'schraubeleica'.  "Screw-mount"
> is a much later intrusion.

I don't have a dictionary on the shelf here, but I think
"thread" means "Gewinde" and "screw" means "Schraube".
The correct term for the thread (where you screw
your lenses in) is in german IMHO "Gewinde-Anschlu=DF".
But "Schraub-Anschlu=DF" (screw mount) is about equally common.

The popular term for the camera itself is "Schraub-Leica"
not "Gewinde-Leica".

I (not beeing an expert in that field) think that
LTM is the more exact term for the mount as far
as the origin of the term goes.

> Why adopt a new word, when a perfectly good older
> one exists?

I think in both cases we know what we are talking about,
aren't we?

best wishes

Stefan
- --
Stefan Kahlert
Wissenschaftliche Abteilung
Medizinische Poliklinik der Universitaet Bonn
uzs13b@uni-bonn.de