Subject: Re: The City and all that
From: "gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:44:53 +0200

Hi

I think that the objections to Frisco are very pretentious! I live in
Johannesburg, commonly known as Joburg. Other provincial capitals around
here are Bloemfontein (known as Bloem), Durban (known as Durbs), etc.

Now, I have yet to hear an American or British newseader who knows how to
pronounce Johannesburg correctly but nobody around hear minds or cares!

The unfortunate soul who originally referred to `Frisco' comes from
Singapore. I doubt whether most of the citizens of `Frisco' know what the
names of major cities in Singapore are, let alone how to spell or pronounce
them.

After all, we all use Leica cameras which come from Deutschland, but we
don't even call their country of origin by that name, we call it Germany!

So, theres my 10 cents worth.

Best wishes to all the Luggers, and let us all remember that none of us is
as well-versed in the names/nicknames of countries, cities, etc as we might
like to be.

Harold