Subject: Filters; Incident light meters
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:04:55 EDT

Dan C. wrote:
>...and see what happens.  Personally, I have never seen an example of a before
>and after picture where the one with the UV filter appears degraded with
>respect to the other.  I like the security of keeping filters in front of
>my leica lenses, but would like to know if there really is a (noticeable)
>degradation in picture quality.

      On comparison of with filter vs without filter results, I have seen
degradation in the fine detail in 8x10 B&W prints, but only with the less
expensive filters: Tiffen, Cokin & Promaster have been particular offenders.
Never a problem with Leica, B+W or Helioplan. I have no experience with
Sing-Ray, Hoya, Lee &c.

      I presently have two light meters: a Gossen Luna Pro F and a Pentax
digital spot. The Pentax has been getting more use since I traded my old
Luna Pro in on the F: An excellent meter which runs on an ordinary 9 volt
battery besides, but it is HUGE. I don't have a pair of pants with a
pocket that will hold it. Seems like it occupies at least as much volume
as my M-2 body, maybe more!

      My old Luna Pro would fit in most of my back pockets (barely) and
it's predecessor, a Super Pilot, fit comfortably. The Sekonic 308 Donal has
been raving about lately is tempting, 'though a bad experience with an old
Sekonic Auto Leader III (made in the '60s) has kept me away from that brand...

                                           - John Lowther