Subject: M-6 Rebate ends soon.......
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:21:50 -0500

Confessions of a new Leica owner.......

I splurged today.......

I bought a new black M-6 and a new 50mm Summicron...........(from B&H)

I toyed with buying used and in the end, two factors prevailed.

1)  Leica earns nothing if I buy used.  Nothing against buying used
equipment, I've bought quite a bit of it as you can save a great deal
of money doing so......  But seeing what it costs to repair a M6,  I'd
prefer to have three years for a problem to reveal itself than 10 or 90
days.   Plus I get an extra EV of meter sensitivity to boot (not that I
need it).  Besides, if Leica is going to have R&D money to finish
developing that M-7 I saw in Solms......  : )  They need healthy sales
and the profits.

2)I  wonder and doubt that I'll ever be able to buy another Leica M
body new with passport for less than $2000.   (it hurts less if you
don't think about the price, or the percentage of your yearly income
that just metamorphose (sic) into metal and glass,  it's only money....
right?)  Besides that,  I plan to keep this one.   I expect it will
still be working long after my EOS stuff is dead and unrepairable.   I
thought about buying an older model, I used to have two M-3's,  but
after reading all of the LUG digests I could, the general consensus was
that the M-6 rangefinder is more reliable than the M-4 2 and M-4 P  I
was looking at,  plus it has a meter to boot.  Besides I can always buy
a used m body, but a new one at $1995, I wonder....

Only 11 more shopping days till the rebate ends..........

Kinda puts me in the holiday mood and I break out singing to the tune
of Jingle Bells......

Leica sales, Leica sales, Leica all the way
Oh what fun it is to buy
A black Leica M6 today,

Leica sales, Leica sales, Leica all the way
Oh what fun it is to buy
A new Leica camera today.........

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador