Subject: Re: Re New M7
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:54:27 -0800

tv@cisco.com wrote:

> >> How about a joint Leica-Jashica G2 like body, without AF that takes M
> >> lenses???
>
> They could put a "focus-indicator" in the view finder.

I've tried both the G1 and the G2 and find both useless for manual
focusing.  Things are just not intuitive.  Their best use is for high
level point and shoot.  The little marks jump around, just not smooth,
and you have to look away from the viewfinder, on the bottom, to see the
results of turning the little dial.  And the dial is too small for fine,
but rapid adjustment.

My major complaint, and this applies to most all autofocus, is that the
noise and movement of the servo motors is really distracting.  Rather
than flowing with a scene you are consitantly reminded of the mechanics
of photography--whiz, whurrr, whurrr, whiz, whiz. etc.

There are times for the AF (Soccer (football) games with 400 f/2.8).
There are times for Aston Martins and tow trucks, too.

Like the Nikon F5 with its dim viewfinder, the Gs are to be used with
AF.

Donal Philby
San Diego