Subject: Re: Re New M7
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:53:47 CDT

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:54:27 -0800 Donal Philby
<donalphilby@earthlink.net> writes:
>tv@cisco.com wrote:

[snip]
>I've tried both the G1 and the G2 and find both useless for manual
>focusing.  Things are just not intuitive.  Their best use is for high
>level point and shoot.  The little marks jump around, just not smooth,
>and you have to look away from the viewfinder, on the bottom, to see
>the
>results of turning the little dial.  And the dial is too small for
>fine,
>but rapid adjustment.

Yes, I had a G1, liked the lens, but was disappointed  with the manual
focusing also, especially for closeups.  Didn't like the AF much either -
even if you lock in the focus, nothing moves until the final push.
Compared to the Leica M I would describe it as "mushy."  Too bad - the
45/2.0 lens was super.

Only advantage I can see to one that would take M lenses - my wife could
use it if the viewfinder was better.  On the G1 eye relief was not very
good.

Good news is I now have a second M6

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK