Subject: Re: Is it CNN or memorex.???
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:38:17 -0400

BIRKEY, DUANE wrote:
Snip:

>  It's easy to think that with much of the yet undeveloped
> natural wealth that Latin America has, that it is not "third world".
> There are sections of Ecuador, Brazil and others that are as developed
>
> as any place in the world.  But sadly that is often the exception.  It
>
> is difficult for the upper class here to see the needs of the lower
> classes even though it is painfully obvious.  They won't even give
> them
> a first glance nor recognize their presence.  They treat the average
> worker like dirt.   Much of Latin America and the world faces poverty,
>
> be thankful for the wealth you have.
>
> Duane Birkey
> HCJB World Radio
> Quito Ecuador

Duane,

Sounds like you're ready to fill in for Oddmund. Actually, in both your
and his defense, we should be thankful that someone like Sebastian
Salgado is roaming Brazil with his Leicas. I have yet to look at his
newest book, Terra, but I've seen some of the images online. (
http://www.nytimes.com/specials/salgado/photos/ ). They and the
circumstances he documents are quite powerful and in line with what
you've just stated. Thanks for your insights.

Carl Socolow