Subject: Enlargers (Was film & processing)
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:49:36 EDT

The thread about enlargers rang some bells: While I don't know about the
newer models, the older Leica enlargers were "diffuse condenser" type
with condensers and opal glass bulbs.

While it is not so pronounced in enlargers with cheaply made condensers,
condenser enlargers enjoy a distinct advantage in accutance over
diffusion enlargers. To my eye, even with my old Omega, the difference
in accutance is more than enough to compensate for the gain in contrast
and the requirement to be really careful about dust control.

I understand that among the major enlarger manufacturers, Durst is the
leader in this, with coated, precision ground, optical glass condenser
lenses. I suspect the condensers in your old Focomat Ic & IIc enlargers
are comparable, or perhaps of even higher quality.

While Ansel Adams was a vocal proponent of cold light diffusion
enlargers, he kept a condenser Bessler enlarger to "print some small
format negatives." I suspect the difference in accutance was why he kept
the condenser machine around.

                                          - John Lowther