Subject: Re: advise needed on R series 80/90/100 mm lenses
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:54:54 -0700

On 28 Jun 97,  Pascal wrote:

> Hello to all:
>
> I am currently considering a short tele for use with the R8. I was
> wondering what lens would be the best choice:

<snip>

I, and several of my cronies all have, and enthusiastically endorse
the 100/2.8 Macro APO, Pascal. If you *must* soften a lens for
portraiture, I prefer to do it with a stocking or another type of
material to cover the lens. A roll experimenting with a model and
different materials will give you a handle on how much softening
you are getting.

In my case, I'm always looking for sharpness and close focusing
capability. It is a great general purpose lens, athough, if size
and weight are *extremely* important to you, it's the biggest and
heaviest of the lot. Otherwise, only the price is a negative.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
      Dictatorship (n): a form of government under which everything
      which is not prohibited is compulsory.