Subject: advise needed on R series 80/90/100 mm lenses
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:40:16 +0200

Hello to all:

I am currently considering a short tele for use with the R8. I was
wondering what lens would be the best choice:

- - Elmarit-R 90 mm f/2.8 was tested by the French magazine Chasseur d'images
and got a four star-approval (very good lens), but it's production is
stopped and it does not appear in the new Leica item list in Belgium any
longer.
- - Summicron-R 90 mm f/2.0 got only three stars from the same magazine.
- - Summilux-R 80 mm f/1.4 also got three stars (but I am somewhat attracted
to the high speed which makes available light photography possible)
- - Macro-Elmarit-R 100 mm f/2.8 APO got the maximum five stars for excellent
quality - the best lens on the market in its category. A Leica technician
advised me to go for this one because of its extreme sharpness and nice
color rendering (this lens could sometimes be embarrassing for ladies when
you take their portraits - because everything is painfully sharp...).
- - or should I go for a zoom like the 80-200 mm f/4.0?

But weight and size is also of consideration.

Who has practical experience and advise on this? Thanks for any responses.

Pascal
Belgium

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook