Subject: Re: Seeing Everything New
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 20:45:51 -0400

Bill Grimwood wrote:
<snip>
This may be getting off subject but I need some help.  I have worn glasses
since I was in the eighth grade in school until two years ago.  I have been
diagnosed with glaucoma and did not respond to the drops so I had laser
surgery on both eyes that has proved successful.  Now I have 20/20 without
glasses but I still need reading glasses. I wear the half glasses "granny
glasses" , 1.75 diopter so I can look over the classes for distant views.
What I would like to have is a pair of these glasses that have the
graduated power like th graduated bi-focals I used to wear.  Does anyone
know where I might find these?
<snip>

Dear Bill,

Glaucoma is a problem where the fluid pressure inside the eye climbs to
levels that causes you to lose optic nerve fibers.  Since we have more than
we need, you can lose up to 50% before it is noticed.  That is both good
and bad. As long as you are being followed with pressure checks and visual
field tests, your doctor will know if the pressure inside your eyes is
being tolerated.

Ask your doctor (optometrist or ophthalmologist) or your optician (one who
makes glasses) about progressive addition lenses.  They must be fit
carefully with a margin of error of only 0.5mm to align the reading
sections.  When prescribed well and fit well and adjusted well, they can't
be beat for performance and convenience.  Some older docs (I hope I don't
get flamed for that statement - I'm 43) tried them years ago when they were
quite limiting and never prescribed them again.  Don't give up if your doc
doesn't know much about them.  Check with the 800 directory to see if  you
can call Varilux directly so they can refer you to someone who is more
knowledgable with these lenses.  They work very well for most people. I
almost take them for granted having prescribed them for over ten years.
Don't give up.  The lenses are better than they ever have been.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA