Subject: Re: Seeing Everything New
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:13:55 -0400

Bill Grimwood wrote:

> This may be getting off subject but I need some help.  I have worn
> glasses
> since I was in the eighth grade in school until two years ago.  I have
> been
> diagnosed with glaucoma and did not respond to the drops so I had
> laser
> surgery on both eyes that has proved successful.  Now I have 20/20
> without
> glasses but I still need reading glasses. I wear the half glasses
> "granny
> glasses" , 1.75 diopter so I can look over the classes for distant
> views.
> What I would like to have is a pair of these glasses that have the
> graduated power like th graduated bi-focals I used to wear.  Does
> anyone
> know where I might find these?
>
> Bill Grimwood

   Bill,

I just had a pair of progressive bifocal reading glasses made. They have
no prescription in the top because my far vision is very good.
Unfortunately, presbyopia has set in and I have a hard time seeing
things close except at the end of my extended hand. So the bottoms are
1.25 diopter. The nice thing about them is that I bought clip on
sunglasses so I don't have to own two pair when I want to read outside.
And I can finally set the lens on my view camera without having to wear
half-glasses and sunglasses at the same time. I still have to get used
to using them with the viewfinder of the Leica and hasselblad.

Carl Socolow