Subject: Re: Seeing everything new
From: Christopher Morrow <cmorrow@northnet.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 22:46:18 -0400

At 7:15 AM -0400 on 6/30/97, Ken Wilcox wrote:

> Dennis:
>
> Ask your provider about trying a different kind of soft contacts. I find
> some "dry up" as in your experience and others are wearable for months at a
> stretch.
>
> You might also ask about "monovision". I have one eye corrected for
> distance viewing and the other undercorrected which allows me to see
> closeup without further optical apparatus. (Still need the sunglasses)
>
> kw

Ken,

You're the first person I've "run into" who also has his/her contacts set
up in monovision like I do (I'm sure our prescriptions are different).

I've worn glasses since freshman year in college, and it was only about ten
years ago (at age 43 thereabouts) that I got contacts. I've hardly worn
glasses since. When I went in to my optometrist to get my trifocals, I
freaked out (and people think bifocals are tough). Anyway, I asked if I was
a good candidate for contacts and was told yes, I was.

To make a long story short, I've had my left eye set up for distant vision
and my right for closer up vision. This way I can read f-stops on lenses
without putting on reading glasses (which I keep handy, but find which I
myself using less and less). The hardest thing to get used to was driving,
night driving in particular.

With my F4's ability to set the exact diopter I can use my right eye for
viewing/picture-taking with contacts or with glasses-- there are different
settings for each different situation, probably because my glasses are not
set up for monovision. BTW, a co-worker said that her optometrist told her
that a very small percentage of contact lens wearers adapt well to
monovision. However, I do understand that it's better than bifocal contacts.

Basically the only time I wear glasses now are when I put on my Nikon
sunglasses (Swiss Army Knife has sunglasses, does Leica?). I have no
trouble viewing/focusing with my Leica M6 either.

Cheers,

Chris Morrow
Now happily self-emplyed again