Subject: Re: M6, 50mm Summicron and more
From: wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 07:48:06 -0400

>I'm a newcomer to this group and don't quite have a Leica yet.  I have
>been saving for an M6 and 50mm Summicron and am about a month away
>thanks to the extension of the $500 rebate till September.  Someone
>suggested I become a LUGnut and here I am.

Welcome to LUG!

>1.  Amongst the bewildering array of M6 lenses, is there a particular
>50mm Summicron (or other 50mm) that I should be looking out for?  I have
>been told the later the production date the better.

For black and white work I really like the old DR Summicron. For color, I
haven't noticed much difference, but I've never had the opportunity to try
the newest version.

>2.  Someone I talked to along the way suggested that I should consider a
>35mm lens rather than a 50mm because the 35mm "suits Leica photography".
>It was a throw away line I never followed up because the comment didn't
>really make sense to me.  Any comments on this?  I'm more a 50/85mm
>photographer than a 35mm one - I would have thought it was my style that
>mattered not the camera's (whatever that means - is this some Leica
>mysticism I have not been initiated into yet?).

I often shoot with a 35mm, but more often use a 50mm. You are correct that
your style is the most important deciding factor in focal length choice.
(BTW, a used 90mm Tele-Elmarit is a great M lens available at very
reasonable prices)

I am currently in love with a Zeiss-Ikon Nettar with a f/6.3 Novar lens.
>It has been my camera of choice since I bought it 4 months ago at a
>market.   From using this camera I have learnt that a 'slow' lens does
>not necessarily equate to inferior image quality.  I also have a strange
>feeling sometimes that this f/6.3 lens is able to render a scene into
>more shades of gray than some of my newer and faster lenses.  Is this to
>do with the speed of the lens, could it be some other lens
>characteristic, or am I imagining this?   There is definitely  something
>unique about the images this lens produces compared to modern lenses.
>And just to get my money's worth does anyone know somewhere (eg a more
>appropriate website)  I can find out more about these cameras?

I suspect that you are using an uncoated lens. I find the lower contrast of
some of these to be a real advantage for B&W work, especially in contrasty
daylight.

Cheers!

kw

- ----