Subject: Re: B&W RC Paper Question
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@eagle.wbm.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 08:20:16 -0600

At 07:57 AM 01/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
>Having returned to my darkroom to print some Leica negatives, I have been
>using Kodak Polymax RC paper.  I process it as archivally as possible with
>a hypo eliminator (Permawash), double rinses then and air dry them on clean
>plastic screens.  Does anyone know if Kodak has done tests on the longevity
>of RC paper?  I previously used only double weight "paper" based printing
>papers.  But processing RC papers is sure easier and shorter.
>
>Anyone have experience with RC printing papers?

As a general rule of thumb with RC papers, use a selenium toner if you are
interested in archival permanence.  Alternatively, treat them with Agfa
Sistan.
   There is still some debate about the permanence of RC papers compared to
fibre-based papers.  Selenium toning or Sistan treatment brings their
archival properties close to that of fibre based papers (close to, but not
quite as high as, according to recent indications).
   If you are making a print which needs to have maximum archival
properties, then use fibre based paper.  This applies if you are making
exhibition-quality prints, or family photographs which are likely to be
cherished by the next generation of viewers.
   If you want the convenience and the special properties of RC papers,
then at least apply the treatments indicated above to achieve maximum
permanence from them.
   Perma-Wash is a hypo clearing agent, which although not as necessary for
RC prints, is still a good idea to use. (RC papers do not absorb as much
thiosulphate because they are not porous like fibre based papers.) A hypo
eliminator, like Kodak's HE-1, is totally different chemically.  I do not
use it and I do not recommend it.

- -GH