Subject: Re: Evidence of a Contax/Leica partnership?
From: Martin Tai <cg081@freenet.toronto.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:51:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Kari Eloranta wrote:

> If I understand it correctly the Contax way of doing autofocus is
> suboptimal. Meaning that one achieves better optical performance
> if in focusing the relative positions of the elements in the lens
> are changed instead of just changing the distance of the whole lens
> from the film plane. Leica is all for the ultimate optical performance,
> in R anyway. Why would they go for the Contax solution?

    On the contrary, the only way to get best optical performance
is UNIT FOCUSING, ie,  move the lens as a whole.
    The internal focusing ( moving internal elements of lens ) used
in  many  AF long lens is to reduce the weight for motor drive,
it is not optimal. The Contax AX way is the right way.

martin tai