Subject: Re: M6, 50mm Summicron and more
From: "Michiel Fokkema" <mfokkema@pop3.worldaccess.nl>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 21:58:23 +0000

hello Rob,

> 1.  Amongst the bewildering array of M6 lenses, is there a particular
> 50mm Summicron (or other 50mm) that I should be looking out for?  I have
> been told the later the production date the better.

Opinions differ a lot on this subject.A lot of people say that
the summicron with spectatcles is the best.Other people say the
newer the better. The people who perform scientific tests will say
that the new lenses are better than the old lenses, espescially when
used at wider apertures. When used from 5.6 there is hardly any
difference between the different lenses.
Al of the summicrons will perform very satisfactory, it just depends on your wallet.
Personnaly I prefer the summilux although this lens is more expensive.

> 2.  Someone I talked to along the way suggested that I should consider a
> 35mm lens rather than a 50mm because the 35mm "suits Leica photography".
> It was a throw away line I never followed up because the comment didn't
> really make sense to me.  Any comments on this?  I'm more a 50/85mm
> photographer than a 35mm one - I would have thought it was my style that
> mattered not the camera's (whatever that means - is this some Leica
> mysticism I have not been initiated into yet?).

You are totaly right on this subject. The choice of lens depends on
your style of photografy and of course the subject and the
circumstances. No one will reccomend a 35mm for portraits.
The reason why the 35mm is so often suggested as the standard lens
for a leica-M is that the leica-M is so quit and small that it is
very suitable for candid street photografy, in these circumstances the
35mm is very convenient.

BTW. Did you consider another model than the M6, would save you some
money. Especcially when you are a 50/90mm shooter a M3 will be much
more convenient than a M6(unless you really need the built in
exposure meter).

      Greetings,

                 Michiel.