Subject: Re: Leica Passport
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:38:19 -0400

At 10:28 AM 7/1/97 +0100, Doug Richardson wrote:

>Several years ago, my wife lost her footing in the garden while attempting
>to take a first photo with her brand-new Leica Mini II, and the camera
>landed in a puddle of water. The price Leica quoted for fixing it was more
>than I'd paid for it a few days earlier. It was cheaper for her to go out
>and buy another. If the camera really was uneconomic to repair, surely they
>could have offered her a replacement for whatever price they supply
>new-build cameras to a dealer. To quote a repair price which was higher
>than the camera's cost to the dealer + the dealer's profit was to my mind a
>disgraceful way to run a business. My respect for the Leica company hit
>rock-bottom that day, and has remained there ever since. I don't own any
>Solm-built cameras or lenses, and after that incident I never will.

I'm missing something.  Your wife drops a Japanese-built Leica-labelled P&S
camera, Leica USA apparently failed to honour their warranty, and you
therefore refuse to buy German-made Leica products?  Is there a logical
lacuna here or am I just failing to make a jump of faith somewhere in the
reasoning?

My own experiences with the Passport Warranty have been 180 degrees
different, by the way, though I have always called Neils Thorsen before
sending something in.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!