Subject: Tele-Elmarit-M 90 hoods
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 20:04:56 +0100 (BST)

At 12:17 02/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 02:43 PM 02-07-97 +0100, Joe Berenbaum wrote:
>>>Also are there any metal hoods for use with the 90 tele-elmarit 2.8M
>>>latest version.  I do not much care for the rubber hood that came with >>>it.
>>>Harrison McClary
>>
>>The metal hood no. 12575 works well on it, and has its own cap with which
>>it can be reversed over the lens. It is vastly superior to the rubber
>>hood, the designer of which should have been sacked on the spot and sent
>>to work for Petri, Miranda or Chinon, where he could have had the career
>>he deserved.
>[snip]
>
>Would someone please tell me what is wrong with the rubber lens hood?
>Dan C.

Well this is subjective I suppose, but I couldn't get a lens cap to fit the
lens while the hood was on it, which was not acceptable to me, and although
the lens takes 39mm filters, the hood takes series something filters, which
didn't make any sense to me at all, and I didn't feel it was a particularly
good hood anyway, and have read of them coming apart. But it was the lens
cap issue that did it. Having to unscrew the hood in order to cap the lens
meant that its collapsibilty was pointless, since I had to remove it anyway.
And after getting the metal hood I haven't looked back.

Joe Berenbaum