Subject: Re: Leica R8 Advertisements
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 22:29:46 +0200

At 22:59 -0400 01-07-1997, Paul Collura wrote:
>Are any LUGnuts impressed by the current ad for the R8(the one in half
>shadow or silhouette)?  I for one think it portrays the camera in poor
>light and makes it look hideous rather than a professional photographic
>tool.  I clearly prefer the Nikon presentation of their new camera the
>F5.

The advertisements in the French photo magazines is completely different.
There you can see the R8 in all its splendour, with a Summilux-R 80 mm
f/1.4 mounted on it (Chasseur d'Images, R=E9ponses Photo). The ad also gives
details of the main characteristics of the camera. BTW, there is also a
similar ad for the M6.
The German ad, of which the American one is a translation, seems a bit too
philosophical to me, too.

Have you already seen the UK ad for the R8? This seems odd to me: it says
"Smiling all the way from the bank. Sold." "The time is right to get
yourself a Leica." (Practical Photography, June 1997). Is this a hint to
the fact that the R8 is expensive or what?

There was a very good ad for the M6 in French magazines at the beginning of
the year: it showed a dog with big ears and said "inutile de dresser
l'oreille, un Leica M6 ne fait pas de bruit" (unnecessary to put up your
ears, a Leica M6 does not produce any sound), together with an explanation
of the main philosophy of the camera.

Pascal
Belgium

This message was created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook