Subject: Re: M6, 50mm Summicron and more
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 18:41:34 -0500

Ted Gant wrote:
> He's more than surprised and yelling at me and
>the next thing I know I have his director down on the field yelling and
>screaming at me and going to do several unmentionable things to my body. :)
>
>Cool hand Luke here just stayed calm,:) let him rant and rave and when he
>stopped I pulled out the international rule book and quietly explained that
the
>next time one of his cameramen ran infront of the stills photographers and
in
>with the athletes I'd have the cameraman and him declared nul and void of
>accreditation!
>
>Now splutter splutter "you can't do that we are TV etc."  I stayed calm and
>explained just this "Try me!" smiled and walked away.

A similar thing happened at a Georgia Tech game in Atlanta the year they
went undefeated.  The guy who holds the refelctor to pick up sound from the
field kept standing right on the sidelines, you are supposed to stay behind
the dotted line about 3 feet from the sidelines.  Well Joe Holloway of the
AP asks this guy to move and he doesn't, so Joe "moves" him.

 This guy, his camera operator--I have a hard time calling people who don't
use film and understand light photographers-- and his producer start raising
all kinds of mess threatening to have Joe thrown out ect.  Well  when the Ga
Tech PR dude comes down there and starts to sorta side with the TV jerks all
of us still shooters, UPI, Gwinnett Daily News/NYTRNG, Marietta Daily News,
Atlanta Journal/Constitution ALL say if Joe goes we all go because we are
tired of being treated like second class citizens, and we point out if we
all leave litterally no paper in the country is going to even see a photo
from Ga Tech.

Needless to say Ga Tech PR guy changed his mind and made the guy obey the
same rules as us.

>It seems I am going to be doing a similar job in Kuala Lumpur for the
>Commonwealth Games next yaer in Malaysia. So I guess I didn't p---s off too
many
>people. :)

Great, I wish I was going to be there.  I would love to cover an event
organized by someone who knew what he was doing for a change!!

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto