Subject: Customs
From: seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 97 14:52:27 PST

     Hi,

      I have been buying some Leica cameras from abroad and gotten some
     questions on the customs by different carriers and countries.

     1. Rare Camera Co of London

        They shipped the package by air mail: I received it with no
     problem.

     2. Leica Shop of Austria

        They shipped the package by UPS: I had to pay $20.60 for customs
     clearance (brokerage fee etc.)

     3. From a Canadian guy

        He shipped the package by Purolator:  I was billed $80 something
     for customs clearance (brokerage fee etc.)

     4. From another Canadian guy

        He shipped the package by UPS:  I received it with no problem.

     I do not understand why I sometimes had to pay for the customs.  I
     believe that lots of you have bought from abroad.  What is the behind
     story?  What is the best way to receive the package customs-free?

     Regards,
     David