Subject: Re: Customs
From: Myron Wolf <myronw@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 03:07:23 +0100

Hi everyone!
   I am a new LUGger and can add some info to this thread having shipped
and received cameras and stuff from all over. My most ambitious project
was to ship 300+  78rpm records and a 1926 RCA wind-up console to
Japan.

  Nominal (approx. $23. on $400) US Customs fees may be charged on
incoming new items in current production.  This may or may not happen.
It definitely helps to clearly mark the *condition* on  the customs
form:
1 used camera Leica IIIf....
1 used lens Summarit .....
 For articles of value under $500. US postal EXPRESS MAIL is the best
buy, with an 800 number for tracking. Never had a problem.
  For expensive items UPS AIR has the insurance coverage, reasonable
prices (about $7.00 a pound) and minimum paperwork.
  Peace,
Myron