Subject: Re: beginner film question
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 04 Jul 97 00:07:59 EDT

Bob wrote:

<<<<<<So far I have been using 100-400 color print film in my M6 (probably 10
rolls now). My 2 lenses are the current 35/2.0 and 90/2.8. What would be the
advantage of trying a slower than 100 speed film? If I went with a 64 or even
lower speed, what would I notice in a 4x6 or 5x7 print? I/m open to both color
print or b&w.>>>>>

Hi Bob,

Save your time and money and stay with the film you have been using as it is
better to learn one kind of film and all the neat things you can do with it
before you start jumping around to others.

As far as the difference from a 100 print film to something slower, you'll not
really see any significant change. In my experience of the modern films of
today.

Now having said that, undoubtly there will be other folks who'll come back with
many technical details regarding nuances of colour etc etc etc. That is their
prerogative. :)

However in practical use of the pictures you'll probably be shooting I assume,
"Happy Snaps" <<<Wer're driving down the Oregon coast this weekend,>>>> for show
and tell of the drive. Scenics and the like kinds of pictures, a good asa 100
film will do you just fine. And have a roll or two of 400 for back-up in the
event the weather goes rotten and the light is low.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant