Subject: Re: 4 I.D. 1997
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 22:10:46 -0800

Ted,

Thanks for your comments about the qualities of this changing country
down here.

We try to do well and get things wrong as much as right.  The core WASP
culture is certainly being eaten away by the diversity and strength of
cultures we are absorbing.  But in some ways that has been our
strength--to use whatever resources are at hand, be they material or
human, and get on with creating the future.  We've had such a wealth of
both resources that there had been little to slow us down.  Now if we
can only find ways to live sustainably, with care for the environment
and human rights and the long-term future, then, and only then, will we
have lived up to the dreams of Independence.

And only then will I know that the legacy I pass on to my daughters will
be, not a burden, but a treasure.....

Donal Philby
San Diego