Subject: Re: 4 I.D. 1997
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 05 Jul 97 12:35:53 EDT

Donal wrote:

<<<Now if we can only find ways to live sustainably, with care for the
environment and human rights and the long-term future, then, and only then, will
we have lived up to the dreams of Independence.>>>>>>

Hi Donal,

In both our Nations this seems to be the problem or resolve for the future. The
"human factor" of living and working to-gether becomes greater, as America and
Canada again become the "country of choice" for so many folks from oppressed
countries.

Last week I was in Ottawa to discuss the making of a new book about Canadians,
as the last one published by the National Film Board of Canada in 1967, an all
B&W depiction of Canada at the time, shows we were predominatly white from coast
to coast, even though we had native peoples and other ethnic diversity.

Today, 30 years later, Canada has evolved into a major collection of cultures
and colours that it seems time we updated the image of the people.

I feel the task would be fraught with problems of many things not encountered 30
years ago, primarily the "political correctness" that has permeated society
destroying much of our ability to communicate with one another.

Sorry I'll stop, as this has slipped beyond the Leica topic. :)

ted