Subject: Films, Photos and History
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 22:32:33 -0500

All this talk of Kodachrome and E-6 films has made me start thinking of what
is to become of the images of "our times".

I am probably of the last generation of news photographers who worked
shooting only Black and white films on daily news stories and I am only 32
years old.  We all know Black and White can be made to last a very, very
long time.  Many of the images I think of as being the telling images of a
decade, century ect have been in Black and white, but that is mainly because
color as a standard staple of news reportage has been in use for only the
past 10 years or so.  Sure it has been used for longer than that, but most
papers and wire services shot mostly black and white because of the cost
factor and time factor.

However, with the advent of excellent color negative films, "cheap" film
scanners and digital photography everything is now shot in color.  In the
past if it was not for the front of a section it was shot on black and
white. Now shoot on color then if needed in B&W scan in greyscale.  I have
no idea what the archival factor of color neg is, but I would guess it is no
better than e-6?

Of course now many papers, and the Associated Press do not even use film.
All of their images are shot on digital cameras.  This now brings into
question not only the archiving the images, but the "history" factor.  We
all know how easy it is to alter an image in photoshop, so who is going to
safe guard the images of world shaping events for our future generations?
Would Eddie Adams' Pulitzer winning image from Veitnam be safe from
manipulation, or would it, in this day and age of politically correct, be
manupliated to show some kinder event?

Furthermore almost everything shot in color before the advent of color neg
was shot on E-6 and from Fred's, Donal's and others posts I assume we can
just rule
all of this stuff as garbage in the next 10-30 years.  This really hits home
to me as the type of stuff I currently shoot is the kind of thing future
generations will look back to see how things used to be.  I shoot mostly
travel/development photos of small towns and cities.  How often do you see a
photo from 1900 showing what a town used to look like.  Now that everything
is on E-6 I guess in 2097 it will be "Well we had these great photos showing
our city in 1997, but they are now just clear pieces of plastic!"  And
unfortuantly Kodachrome is not an alternative as the time factor comes into
play.  When shooting on tight deadlines you just don't have time to ship
film off, plus I HATE shipping film for processing, just to many things can
go wrong.  In the few times I have to do it for clients I have had to many
problems, so I would hate to do it on a regular basis.

As a final note on the advent of digital cameras in the newspapers I wonder
if it will do to still photographers what video cameras did to motion
picture TV photographers.  The TV photographers of old had to understand
light, color, and film.  This in my opinon is what makes a photographer,
today all they do is hit white ballance, and most of don't even do that
well, and shoot on automatic (Hence the reason I REFUSE to call them
photographers).  From what I have been told shooting on full automatic is
how to use these digital cameras.  So I am guessing that the news
photographers of the future will have no real understanding of film, light
ect as those of use who came up shooting chrome on deadline did.  I already
see this to some extent from those who have come up shooting color neg,
never having to worry about the correct color on a color slide, perfect
exposure ect.

Hmmm  maybe not so bad afterall....maybe the competition from the future
generations will be not so stiff, if they don't understand film.....  :)

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto