Subject: Re: Model Releases/Preconceptions
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 21:00:13 -0700

Like Harrison, I grew up in the South. And I agree, you have to make the
preconceptions of others work for you.
	I want to add one point to what several of you have said about the
photographer's preconceptions. With photos or the written story, what appears in print
may reflect the preconceptions of the editor that sent the journalist out there, or
whose heavy editing hand may have reshaped, or misshaped, the final product. That may
not be the case in the book Donal cited, but in the more current press I believe it
sometimes is.
	Sorry, after 20-plus years in the news business, I can't resist the opportunity
to blame it on the editors!
	But I mean this seriously.  Several posts have mentioned the impact of TV.
Another impact is that because TV images are ubiquitous, our own editors devalue the
business of gathering the words and pictures. They won't admit it, of course. But they
sit at their desks and watch events unfold on CNN, MSNBC, C-SPAN or whatever, just as
average viewers do. And then it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that represents
the entire story. Well, the TV folks can do the best job in the world, and they still
haven't reflected the full story like a good writer and photographer on the ground can
do, without the TV gear and the constraints of airtime. But too often these days,
editors just want confirmation of the take they got off the tube. Or worse, they don't
want to consider the story if it isn't already on their radar screen because they saw it
on TV.

Regards,

Bill