Subject: Re: Leica R7
From: Francesco Ricci <ricci@itc.it>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:11:19 +0200 (MET DST)

> At 10:09 PM 7/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Had a R4,4SP,6, and 7.....now an 8.  No comparison. The 8 is an across the
> >board major advantage.  The difference in results was visible in the first
> >roll....ie. Matrix metering. I found the difference between my 4,4SP and 7
> >neglible(the 7 had ttl flash,dx and that was about it ,and it was taller....)
> >If you can't get an 8, go for a 5 or 4SP for a lot less than a 7 and not very
> >much different....
> >
> >good luck,
> >
> >chip

Another good point of the R7 is a scale in the viewfinder that lights up in
manual mode. It says to you, immediately, the fstops of overexposure or
underexposure of the perticular zone you are pointing the camera.  I like
it, if you use the zone system you immediately know if you are placing a
part of the subject on a particular zone. Obviosly you can do the same using
the old scales (the shutter speed or the aperture, if you are using aperture
priority or the T program). But using an R4, or R5 in manual mode is not
immediate, in my opinion. You must check the shutter speeds that the camera
suggests for each part of the subject and then, looking at the top of the
camera, not in the viewfinder (because the viewfinder does not tell to you
the shutter speed you set in manual mode, only the R7), you set the shutter
speed.  The R6 is perfect in manual mode, but the R7 is even better. The R6
has only two indicators that tell to you if the picture is
under/over-exposed by 1/2 stop. The R7 tells to you under/over-exposures in
the range -2/+2 stops.  I do like it.

cheers
- -francesco

Francesco Ricci, IRST, Loc. Pante' di Povo, 38050 Trento, Italy
Tel: ++39-461-314334, Fax: ++39-461-302040, email: ricci@irst.itc.it
WWW   http://mnemosyne.itc.it:1024/ricci