Subject: M4 shutter release height adjustment
From: Tuong Nguyen <etmthnu@etm.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 15:36:46 +0200

Dear fellow Leica users,

I found out how to adjust my M4 shutter release after the leading
shutter curtain got loose on my M4.  Perhaps you can use the same
procedure on your M cameras.  Now the shutter on my camera is more
sensitive which is what I like.

This is how I adjust the shutter release.

1. Open the bottom plate.
2. Remove the film loading instruction plate.
3. Loose the two screws holding a long, flat, narrow, black metal
spring (which is about 50 cm/2 inches long.
4. Move the spring back (toward the film plane) slightly (0.5mm).
5. Tighten the screws.

You will find now that the shutter release will be more sensitive than
before.

Back to the loose shutter curtain.  I don't why it got loose.  Perhaps
it was due me trying to wind the curtains without forward the film (by
using release lever and holding the rewind knob).  This procedure was
recommend by a fellow Leica user previously.

The camera broke down on the first day on a week long holiday in the
Austrian Alps, and no back up body - it was too heavy to carry a
second body.
Now I glued back the curtain after two days spent taking apart the
camera to get to the shutter curtain.  Maybe I will go home and glue
the second curtain so it will not fail again.

It is great to hear discussions about Leica cameras and lenses from
other users.  I like to do some street photography, perhaps other
experience users can give some tips on
1. Camera handling.
2. Approach people.
3. Avoid from being notice.