Subject: Re: Garage sale secrets (was Summicron)
From: Myron <myronw@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 05:49:44 +0100

Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:

>    Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:01:33 -0400
>    From: alan@iti2000.com (Alan Newman)
>
>    ...I have a question, I just purchased 50/2.0 Summicron-m 309xxxx
>    at a garage sale for $200.00. The lens is in mint- condition and
>    for $200 I felt that I couldn't go wrong with it.
>
> I have a question, too. Where are all the great flea markets?
> The only cameras one sees at these are broken point 'n' shoots or 8mm movie cameras.
>
> Garage sales and antique stores here mostly seem to sell furniture.
> However, one also finds: plastic placemats with schematic illustrated
> maps of states on them; ceramic salt and pepper shakers in the shape
>
> But I never ever see any cameras that I might be remotely interested
> in buying at them, much less Leicas.  What's your secret?  Where are
> these great garage sales and flea markets?
>
> -Patrick

   The quality of flea market goods has deteriorated in recent years.
The quality of garage sale merchandise varies. For sure if it's later
than 9:15 AM saturday the tables have been picked clean of interesting
cameras et al. Early bird get the worm etc.
   This process is how immigrants learn about free enterprise:-)

   BUT the good stuff is still in the closet upstairs cause they don't
know what to do with it. The 10 pound bag of Nikon FTn (dead corroded
batteries) and lenses -- long since replaced with Olympus Stylus Zooms
(three dead -- one working) is sitting under dust, cat hairs and dirty
socks. I have found amazing cameras with this method.
   Adopt a photographer personna (easier for some). Wearing a camera
and  a hat helps -- especially one of the black ones with a red Leica
logo. Say 'Hi! Do you have any cameras?'
Peace,
Myron Wolf