Subject: Re: Autofocus capabilities and other misc. stuff.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:12:22 -0700

At 02:28 PM 7/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
>This can effectively be done in about 3-5 seconds. Manually
>would require focusing on near and far subjects while checking distance on
>lens and interpolating with the correct law of thirds application. About a 10
>to 20 second procedure. (I'm not touting switching from Leicaland though)

Well... having spent many years behind a view camera and a 35 with DOF
preview, I can visually focus and set/check Depth Of Field (DOF preview on
the Leica R and f-stop lever on a view camera lens) in a very few seconds.
No looking at the lens barrel for distance. And I do not have to move the
camera so the electronics can re-focus on another object. If I confirm
visually that something is in focus, I'm happy. Actually, I have gotten so
that with a given lens and f-stop, I know exactly where to focus to get max
DOF and how far it extends (1/3 - 2/3 law.) I usually pull the DOF preview
lever to double check and it's usually right on. This is the result of
doing it for decades (before CA was a state. :-) Practice makes perfect...
well almost perfect. This is not for everybody, but it sure works great for
me. A benefit of being old. Please don't get me wrong... I'm not arguing
about methods, just sort of defending the old techniques. The electronic
goodies are great. I'm anxious to see what Leica does with autofocus on the
R8. If that's what works for you, by all means go with it. The whole object
is to take great pictures.

Jim