Subject: Re: Autofocus capabilities and other misc. stuff.
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:31:16 -0700

>=20
> I just bought Canon's EOS2. One of the features is DEP mode which can
> calculate the proper depth-of -field for you. Autofocus on near object
then
> autofocus on far object recompose your shot and it will focus and
correctly
> fstop for you. This can effectively be done in about 3-5 seconds.
Manually
> would require focusing on near and far subjects while checking distance
on
> lens and interpolating with the correct law of thirds application.=20

I assume you mean EOS1N.  You're going to generate all sorts of
announcements in the photo press about a new Canon.=20

Yes the DEP mode is a real plus for the Cannon system when doing slow
composed photo work. No other system has this, but it's a feature that
theoretically should work well on all sorts of cameras (autofocus SLRs,
point-and-shoots, manual focus SLRs with focus confirmation, and
rangefingers like the Contax Gs). With most modern non-Canon zoom lenses
the photographer has no indication of depth of field. I think the reason
this mode is only found on Canons is because they have all the patents. =20

Jacques Bilinski           =F4=BF=F4          =20
Vancouver, Canada        ~    =20
jbilin@ NOSPAM axionet.com                    =20