Subject: Re: first Slides from 35mm Asph Summilux
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Jul 97 19:37:06 EDT

<<Next time I'll stop down a bit and see if the sky will darken keeping the fire
fly trails intact.  >>>>>

Richard,

don't forget if you close down to darken the sky, you are also going to lessen
the effect of the firefly light.

Not sure what I'd do other than bracket the hell out of the scene with quite a
number of exposures (maybe a few rolls) simply because it sounds like a "Hail
Mary exposure situation."

I can't think of any other way I'd approach a scene as you described other than
burning a pile of film and picking the best exposure.

Keep track of each exposure as you make them so you can make sensible aperture
or time adjustments, then you wont be jumping all over in an uncontrolled
manner.

<<<opened up the 35mm Asph Summilux to f 1.4 and took a couple exposures
of between 2-4 seconds.>>>>>

I would stop down a couple and start the exposure at 1 second mark, then go  2,
3, 4. Also close down another stop and do them all over again.

Close down again and increase the exposures to see if you could capture longer
trails of light due to the shutter being open longer and flies recording
longer.. As in: 4, 6, 8 10 secs.

But like I said, this is winging it all Hail Mary exposure stuff like being on a
wing and a prayer! :)

It sounds like such a wonderful scene, I'd work it to death just because I'd be
afraid of never seeing it again. :)

Enjoyed your enthusiasm of using the new lens.:)

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant