Subject: Re: Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 info wanted
From: John_McLeod@designlink.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:55:44 GMT

The 80/1.4 was the first R lens I purchased along with an R6 several years ago.
 I loved the focal length and the brightness of the R6 viewfinder with it.  I
traveled with it, took many slides with it, and was generally satisfied.

Then I bought a Canon EOS1-n and the 85/1.8 lens.  Just to see if the Canon
stacked up, I did some serious comparative testing.  The R lens was VERY soft
from 1.4 to 2.8.  Less light fall-off than the Canon, but unacceptably soft.
Shocked I was -- also a little embarrassed since I had owned the lens for years
and not noticed this problem in general shooting.

I called Leica New Jersey.  They said send it in.  I did.  They said they would
send it to Germany for optical testing.  They did and it failed their optical
tests (it was mechanically fine).  They offered me a new lens for about
$500-$600.  I said, how about the 100 APO?  They said "fine".

The APO is tack sharp as all have said -- even at 2.8.  It is easier (i.e.
slimmer) to hold than the 80.1.4.  But -- I still like the 80 focal length
better, the viewfinder was much brighter on the 80, and the 80 is a much faster
lens.  I guess I got a bad one, but still don't know how good a good 80/1.4
would be (relative to the 100 APO from, say, 2.8 to 8.0).

By the way, I sold the EOS-1n.  Good camera, great ergonomics.  Sharp lenses,
but lots of light fall off, and too much plastic.

John McLeod