Subject: Leica IIIs
From: "Jon Mitchell <jmitch@panama.c-com.net>" <jmitch@panama.c-com.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:28:21 +0000

Dear Luggers,

I just had my beauty kidnapped! The unspeakable camera dealer went
and sold it after I gave him a deposit! It was only a wrecked IIIb,
but $150 was a steal, but not, anymore for me!

I shall attempt to get another one, as I think for the price and
quality, an old screw mount Leica body coupled with a good wideangle
and finder is an excellent camera for general documentary work.

My first rangefinder was a ZORKI, which although was not really
professional quality, was great fun! The screw mount Leicas are
also a great testament to the great work of Leica engineers and
designers who proved to the world that things can be built to last. I
always respect Leica for maintaining this tradition, even if quality
may have dropped considerably since the 30's. Another good screw
mount rangefinder worth looking out for is a Reid III, which was an
English Leica copy. Strangely enough, their 50mm f2 has been rated as
being BETTER than its Leica equivalent!

Actually, if any of you on the list have any old screw mount Leica
bodies and lenses, do email privately, as I may buy one from you, as
my betrayal by the camera dealer has left me Leica-less (the tears
are drowning the keyboard!).

cheers - Jon Mitchell
Website:  <http://www.panama.c-com.net/~jmitch>