Subject: Re: Broke Down & Bought a Leicaflex SL
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:48:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Chris -

I agree.  Nobody has much respect for the 135 anymore.  Funny, I don't
really understand why.  Perhaps folks are too timid and want to be farther
from the subject as with a 180.  I see a 180 as too long for any reasonable
representation in portrait work and too short for much wildlife or landscape
work.

One of my best known pics was a shot of George Pataki I made during his
campaign.  I made it with a 135 Hektor (a c 1957 coated version).  Image
quality is superb (on TMY).  I think the picture hangs in his office.  My
gallery sold it to the secretary of state.  Now, if they ever find out I'm a
democrat...

I sold the 135 a few days after you and I were talking about it 6 months or
so ago.  I got $750 for it from a fellow in Edmonton.  It was absolutely
gorgeous, like new, in the box.  I really didn't much enjoy using it, was
not overly impressed with its performance (actually liked the Hektor
better).  I know this is heresy given all the info on the Tele-Elmarit-M
135, however, it just didn't fill my boat.

Regards,

Curt

>Curt,
>
>I agree that the 135mm/2.8 lens makes sense on an SL. It is small and not
as bulky as one of the 180mm lenses.  However, its main asset is that it is
affordable. This focal length appears to be an orphan.

>By the way, do you still have the 135mm Tele-Elmarit-M?
>
>Anyway, the SL cameras are great, except for the fact that they require
mercury-oxide batteries. I prefer to use the M camera for most things.
However, there are times when the SL is better. For example, it can be used
with the Bellows II via the 14167 adapter. Then, one can even use the 135mm
lens heads and the 65mm Elmar, a great lens. Or, you can use the focusing
adapter from the Visoflex. Incidentally, an SL appears to cost less than the
Visoflex III.